CSMMI Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic

Previous responses by the CSMMI on the COVID-19 Pandemic are listed below.
Updated: March 26, 2020

CSMMI’s Response to COVID-19

The City of Burlington and the Province of Ontario have declared States of Emergency.  The Government of Canada has closed the borders to international travellers.  As a result, public facilities are closed, the hotel industry is suffering, and people are required to observe and practice hand washing, social distancing and refrain from large gatherings.

The CSMMI and the Events Planning Committee are currently planning for multiple contingencies for the Annual 2-Day Show in June.  At the moment, the CSMMI will proceed with the Convention.  However, we are monitoring the situation closely and are staying up to date. We will continue to stay informed, research options and ensure we are taking steps to mitigate risks and are following the recommendations of public health organizations and Province of Ontario. Please know that we are evaluating the COVID-19 situation daily and will adjust based on additional feedback from our research and the direction of government and public health officials.

The April Monthly Show may be cancelled if the City of Burlington extends its facility closure.  Check back with this website for updates closer to the event. The Events Planning Committee is also looking into the possibility of rescheduling the Annual Show to later in the year.  Should the Annual Show eventually require cancellation, we will issue refunds on registration fees.

Update: March 13, 2020

The City of Burlington has announced the closing of its facilities that includes the Burlington Seniors Centre, for 3 weeks.  See announcement at www.burlington.ca

Update: March 12, 2020

The CSMMI Executive has Cancelled the Sunday, March 15, 2020 Show

The CSMMI Executive is monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and are listening to the advice of both the City of Burlington and public health officials.

At the moment, the CSMMI has not cancelled the April or May monthly meetings or our annual conference in June.  We are proceeding to hold these future events.  However, since our monthly meetings are held in a City of Burlington facility, we must comply with the decisions the City makes with respect to holding events.  Please check this website or the City of Burlington website for the most current announcements.  We will advise as soon as any new information is available.

As this is an evolving situation, we recommend that attendees make flexible travel arrangements which can be re-booked or cancelled as may be required. We will be reassessing the situation as the outbreak develops and will keep our community fully informed.  We thank everyone for their assistance as we all work through this challenge.

For more information read our blog.